ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT – Explained with Solutions
This webpage is not available with the error code ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT is a chrome browser’s problem and it’s 100% possible this error can show on any device which having chrome installed in it, whatever you’re using a mobile phone, desktop or laptop.
The main reason behind this error is your computer can’t be able to access the internet connection or maybe something blocking your network to establishing a connection.
So, now the main question is:
What Is This “ERR CONNECTION TIMED OUT” Actually?
Mainly this is a server connection time out network error and it means that a server which we want to access is taking too much time to replying the data request made from where the main server is located.
The main purpose of a connection timeout is to prevent a browser from endlessly waiting for a server to respond.
So, that defines timeouts isn’t a reply message and it only show up when there is some problem in your connection or maybe in that server what you’ve wanna to connect to.
Why This Error Occurring?
There are three reasons for this error to came up on your screen and those are –
- Server Doesn’t Exist – The domain or website’s server what you’ve wanted to open isn’t exist anymore.
- Network Infrastructure Error – It’s possible there is some problem in your network connection.
- Your Device Or Browser Problem – Most of the time this is the main reasons for this problem.
Besides that, it’s not necessary this error only occur on a single website and there are also so many of different conditions what people are normally suffering from when this error happens on their browser’s screen.
And those conditions are like:
- Having this error while open a particular website, maybe on your website.
- Having this problem on few websites while other sites just load fine without any error.
- Sometimes this error only stays in chrome but websites do open perfectly on the different browser.
- It’s also possible your chrome says “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” and your internet explorer says “page can’t be displayed” and your other browsers says something like connection time out and your whole computer can’t able to use any internet connection.
All these conditions are possible and whatever you’re suffering from, just follow the instruction given below to fix this error:
1# – Power Cycle
By saying power cycle I mean reboot your router or modem and everything connected between your ISP and device. Doing this power cycle does helps our system when it can’t able to get online or having some issue to get Internet access on any device or maybe it’s also possible your Internet connection cannot be established on your router/gateway.
For Smartphone User – If you’ve having this problem on your mobile phone then you can try to remove your network Sim card from your mobile phone and insert it back after 10 min break.
To Power Cycle or Reboot your Network Device like Modem/Router, please follow these steps:
- Switch off the router button (if it’s having any) and unplug the power cable from your modem or router.
- Then Leave it unplugged for 1 minute.
- Now Plug it back the power cable to your modem or router and verify that you are again connected to the Internet or not.
Just move to next if this won’t solve your problem:
2# – Resetting Profile Settings
Resetting your browser can make it back to normal and most of the times it does fix this problem and by the use of this option, it won’t delete your bookmarks and passwords, but it will make everything else back to its default state.
For Smartphone User – You can’t do this profile reset thing on your mobile but you can also try to reset your whole chrome browser setting by Tap on the Menu key > Settings > Go to the Advanced section > Content Settings > Tap on Reset to default.
The steps below are same for all operating systems whatever you’re using Windows, Mac and Linux versions of Chrome (Not for Mobile Phones).
You’ll need to type this address “chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings” into your Chrome’s address bar and it will show the reset option. Just click on reset.
3# – DNS Flushing
It’s possible your computer’s saved DNS cache and it got corrupted too and to fix it, you’ll need to flush all cached DNS from your computer and the given step below will help you to do it.
- First, open the Run Commander by pressing the Windows Key +R key.
- Type “cmd” in the text box and that will open your windows Command Prompt.
- In the cmd, type the command “ipconfig /flushdns” and then press enter, it will flush all cached DNS from your PC.
- After that, restart your computer and test it, if the problem still stays then open the cmd again and try the 2nd command listed below.
- Second command: “netsh winsock reset catalog” (only try when the above once won’t works).
4# – Change Internet Setting
Sometimes our computer’s internet setting gets changed by Virus or some installed Spammy software and by doing some changes in our setting can bring your internet back to work.
- To change that setting you’ll need to go to the “Control Panel” in your Windows PC.
- So first, go to your Windows file manager and in the upper top menu list and click on the “Open Control panel”to open it.
Or In Windows 7
- Now find the “Internet Options” setting in your control panel and when you found it, just double click on it and it will show you your computer’s internet setting.
- After that, go to the Connection Tab and click on the LAN setting.
- Now un-tick all the settings from the check box and click OK to exit and that’s the only thing you’ll have to do in it.
- Now restart your computer and test it, if the problem stays move to the next solution listed below.
5# – Host File Editing
The host’s file is a computer file used by an operating system to map hostnames of IP addresses and this Windows hosts file also use to block the particular website to access by just adding the website’s IP addresses and website URLs in that host’s file.
You can skip this step if the error is showing on all websites:
It’s possible this file gets automatically edited by some virus or malware and making this problem on your computer. Normally this “hosts” file editing trick works for those computers who’s having a problem to accessing some particular websites.
So, that’s why you’ll need to check your windows hosts file and see if there is any website’s IP address or URLs is present in it and if it does, then delete them.
Your Windows Hosts file is located in “c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc”
For mac, you can search on Google for “How to change host file on mac”.
- Now open Notepad in your windows and then click on the file button from the upper top menu and then click on ‘open’ to find the file to open.
- After that go to the > Local Disk C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc.
- Now select the ‘All Files’ option from the drop down menu.
- Double click on the hosts file to open it.
- Once it gets opened, just scroll down and delete all website or IP address listed after the last # sign.
- Now press “Ctrl + S” to save that file and after that restart your computer to see the changes.
6# – Turn-OFF The Firewall
A Firewall is a network security system which monitors your whole network and controls all the incoming and outgoing traffic to protect us from hacking.
Sometimes that firewall does block our whole network connection because of some fault and by disabling can fix our problem.
- To turn off the firewall in windows you’ll need to go back to your windows control panel again and select the “Windows Firewall” option in it, you can also search in the search box by typing ‘Firewall’ in it.
- After that click on“Turn Windows Firewall on or off” option in the left side panel.
- Then select the “Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)”option and click “OK”, and that’s it.
7# – Turn-OFF The Antivirus
Nowadays antivirus having its own security system program build in it to prevent hacking like something stuff and because of that, it’s also possible this problem does occurring on your browser.
So, you can fix this problem by turning off your antivirus program.
If you’re using Mcafee Antivirus for your computer then I highly recommend your it turn off the firewall feature from its setting because I analyze this problem more than 100 times and mostly this error occurs who’s having Mcafee installed in their computer.
Here’s the mail what I got recently as you can see:
By Denial – My problem is I can’t able to use my Chrome browser without disabling the firewall from the Mcafee antivirus. I do check every setting related to my firewall and there is nothing which blocks my Chrome to have full access. But don’t know why its creating problem with chrome and the fun fact is all my other browsers such as Foxfire and IE9 are working fine but when I do try open any websites on Chrome, it just only says time out error and that’s it.
Reinstalling Mcafee antivirus works for Denial and maybe it can work for you too. So, disable your antivirus first and if that won’t works then disable the antivirus’s firewall too and if it doesn’t fix your problem then antivirus reinstallation would be beneficial for you.
8# – Use Chrome Cleanup Tool
On 2014 Google releases a beta version of a cleanup tool that can scan your computer and remove software that may cause problems with Chrome. Now the beta version has long gone and that software works perfect on any computer and it will definitely fix your problem.
So, just download the tool from the link given below and run the program to fix issues:
9# – Update Network Drivers
It’s possible your computer or laptops hardware drivers isn’t compatible with your windows and by updating them does fix your problem too.
This link will help you to >>Find And Download Drivers Online.
10# – Use Chrome Alternative
As far I know chrome have two brothers and you can use both of them beside the default one which you’re already using.
The first one this Chromium and the second one is Google Chrome Canary, both works just like your normal chrome and you can safely use it to surf the internet.
11# – System Restore
System restore is a great tool which we all having in our windows OS and by this feature you can restore your computers Windows back to that time when your computer is normal by using the restore point, only if your computer was created any.
To know more about it, click on the link given below:
#What To Do If This “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” Shows On Your Own Website?
If you’re a website owner, at least once in time you’ve do suffering from this “connection timeout” error experience, and that’s the common problem if you’re using shared hosting plan for your website.
This error fully indicates your website is down and whatever’s the reasons is, it can be your server who shuts off or maybe it can be the high traffic load which creating this problem.
If you’re a WordPress User you can try to do things listed below:
- The best thing to do is to make sure any plugins you are running are up to date and compatible with the WordPress version you are updating to. So, just go to Cpanel and open your Website’s main root directory and find the plugins folder and after finding it, just rename it by “plugins1” and save the new name. After that try to open your websites and if its works then rename that folder back to “plugins” and re-enable plugins one by one in your WordPress admin page.
- Contact your host provider is the best option you can try.
Still Finding Solution or Need Some Help ?
If you still can’t find your solution then maybe you’ll need to contact us and we will definitely gonna help you out by our technical support.
Click Here For The Technical Support